Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Can Someone Please Help Me Understand?!?!

Just a moment ago, I checked the headlines on Yahoo! News. One partiular headline caught my eye. The aritcle, "Pardon Set for Black Woman Executed in '45". This article made absoulutely no sense to me. Why issue a pardon to someone who has already been executed? Yes, Lena Baker may have been innoncent but she has already been executed! We cannot bring her back no matter what we do! If all that needed to be done to make the family feel better was give them a proclimation, then give it to them! Why spend the taxpayers' money on the manpower to dig up all this information and issue a pardon but NOT finding the person in question innocent!?

Don't get me wrong, back in '45 it was all about race, Lena Baker was black and she was convicted by an all white jury so I can see an injustice. Does this mean that Georgia will be spending time and resources looking at other injustices that took place in the past? If so, will it only be injustices in which black were wronged?

I'm not tying to downplay this situation. My points are if you're gonna pardon someone whom you think is innocent then FIND THEM INNONCENT WITH THE PARDON, and if you're gonna go back and try to right the injustices of the past, then do it for ALL races not just one particular race. I am not a racist peson. I'm far from it! I have more black friends than I do white friends and I'm part Native American and have many Native American friends. Why don't the government go back and right all the Native Americans that's been wronged out of land!?

Please America, let's do something that makes sense for a change. Pardoning someone who has already been executed is kinda pointless especially if you don't find them innocent. Today, Georgia Board of Pardons is my close encounter with stupidity!

No comments: